April / May 2015
2015 Annual SAMCA Golf Classic
Austin Naegele – Texas Risk Solutions
Stan Naegele – Business Insurance Management
Sherri Naegele – Business Insurance Management
Tom Koenig – Business Insurance Management
Sam Lopez – C & S Contractors
Eric Lopez – C & S Contractors
Pedro Cardenas – C & S Contractors
Kyelan Flournoy – Headwaters
Curtis Stoddard – Stoddard Construction
J.C. Stoddard – Stoddard Construction
Carlos Ramirez – Stoddard Construction
Larry Matula – Stoddard Construction
Closest to the Pin – Austin Naegele – Texas Risk Solutions
Longest Drive – Derrick Stone – Rick Stone Masonry
Straightest Drive – Adolfo Requenez – Garza Bomberger
SAMCA owes many thanks to the following hole sponsors: AHI Supply, L.P.; Alamo Cement Co.; DJM Masonry Enterprises, Inc.; Espey Silica Sand Co.; Grande Truck Center; H & E Equipment Services, Inc.; Headwaters Construction Materials; Hilti, Inc.; Integrity Insurance Agency, Inc.; Lehigh White Cement Company; Lehigh Hanson Aggregates; Osburn Materials, Inc.; Ox Tools; Prosoco, Inc.; Pyramid Cast Stone Co., Inc.; Rick Stone Masonry, Inc.; San Antonio Masonry & Tool Supply; Shadrock & Williams Masonry, Ltd.; Spec Mix / Sand Express; Tailored Foam, Inc.; Texas Lehigh Cement Co.; TNT Equipment Co., Inc.; and Wire-Bond
Thanks also to the beverage sponsors: Headwaters Construction Materials and Grande Truck Center.
In addition, SAMCA wants to thank the following who donated prizes to the golf tournament: 1st place – Acme Brick / Featherlite; 2nd place – Alamo Cement Co.; 3rd place – Tarrillion Masonry; Longest Drive – I-10 Building Materials, Ltd./ Stone Source; Closest to Hole – Multiquip; Straightest Drive – Wortham Insurance and Risk Management.
The brick putter was back again this year. Each golfer used a brick putter to sink their shots into the eighth hole. Thanks to the Brick Putter Sponsor – Blackson Brick Southwest
For the second year, the Hole-In-One competition to win $10,000 was sponsored by Austin Naegele (Texas Risk Solutions).
Also, the popular feature, the “Ball Drop”, returned again this year. Numbered raffle chances corresponding to numbered golf balls were sold. Pearl Ozuna (San Antonio Masonry & Tool Supply) dropped the numbered balls from a bucket from the top of a man lift. The use of the boom was donated by H & E Equipment Services, Inc. The winner, Tom Koenig, won $485 when his numbered ball landed in the hole.
Robbin Bostick (San Antonio Masonry & Tool Supply) donated a trip for two to Las Vegas, including hotel and airfare. This trip was won happily by Trey Atwood.
Golden Trowel Awards Banquet is Approaching
The SAMCA Golden Trowel Awards Banquet is the premier event each year which showcases the SAMCA members work. The banquet and awards ceremony will recognize the outstanding design of Architects and the craftsmanship of the SAMCA Masonry Contractors, the superior product support of the SAMCA member Suppliers, and the superior project management of the General Contractor. The special event is scheduled for Thursday, June 11 at the Club at Sonterra. The Board of Directors wants to encourage members to participate in this special banquet and awards ceremony. Be sure to make your reservations promptly.
In addition, to the Golden Trowel Awards presentation, three other awards will be presented – the Patron of Masonry Awards. These awards are presented to the General Contractor of the Year, the Architect of the Year, and the SAMCA Outstanding Associate Member.
A SAMCA PAC (Political Action Committee) fundraiser was scheduled in May, but postponed because of the lack of participation. The TMC established a PAC four years ago for our local association. PACs are the method in which we can change legislation to help us gain or defend the market share. A PAC is a type of organization which pools campaign contributions from members and donates those funds to campaign for or against candidates, ballot initiatives, or legislation. The PAC organizations are used at federal, city and county levels of government and have strict rules governing their operations. Most PACs represent business, labor, or ideological interests.
More information about this event will be forthcoming in the future. If you have questions, call Dan Martinelli at (830) 816-8200 or Don Tarrillion (210) 545-0202
SAMCA's Upcoming Events - Mark Your Calendar
Meetings and special events have been scheduled for 2015, so please make note of the following dates:
- Thursday, June 11 – Golden Trowel Awards Banquet – The Club at Sonterra
- Wednesday, June 24 – General Membership Meeting
- Friday & Saturday, July 17, 18 – Fishing Tournament – Aransas Pass
- Wednesday, July 29 – General Membership Meeting
- Wednesday, August 26 – General Membership Meeting
- Friday, September 11 – Sporting Clay Tournament & BBQ Cook- Off
- Wednesday, September 30 – General Membership Meeting
- Thursday – Sunday, October 15-18 – Four Wheeling Adventure
- Wednesday, October 21 – Moonlight Golf Tournament – Alamo Golf Club
- Wednesday, October 28 – General Membership Meeting
- Wednesday, November 18 – General Membership Meeting
- Friday, December 4 – Holiday Celebration & Awards Banquet
Remember - Associate's Corner
Members should remember they have the opportunity for “Five Minutes of Fame” during the Associate’s Corner at the monthly General Membership meetings. The representative can present information about their company to the members. The member presenting the Associate’s Corner usually provides the door prize for the meeting.
If anyone is interested in this opportunity, contact Andy Cordova, the programming director (210) 478-6142.
- The Texas Masonry Council convention will take place in San Antonio August 5 – 7, 2015. Because San Antonio is the host city of the convention, SAMCA members are encouraged to participate. For information, visit www.texasmasonrycouncil.org.
- The fishing tournament is scheduled for July 17 – 18, so as a reminder, people should make their reservations now. In addition, anyone who needs a fishing guide should make those reservations now also.
- The Barn Door vs. Pappadeaux – Debbie sent an email to those who attended the April meeting at the Barn Door. A majority wanted to return to Pappadeaux. The board decided to continue at Pappadeaux.