February General Membership Meeting
2016 Annual SAMCA Golf Classic
The Twentieth Annual SAMCA Golf Classic is scheduled for Thursday, March 31 at the Republic Golf Club, 4226 S.E. Military Drive. The cost of $125 per golfer includes green fees, range balls, lunch buffet, beverages (3 beer or soda tickets), 3 mulligans, 1 ball drop ticket, and a golf cart. Registration will begin at 11:30 a.m., lunch will be served at 12 noon, and the shotgun start will be 1 p.m. For anyone who would like to attend the event, but does not want to play golf, the cost is $25. Prizes will be given for the closest to the hole, longest drive, and the straightest drive in addition to the first,second and third prize.
The ever popular “Ball Drop” contest from previous tournaments will return. Registered golfers will receive one ball drop ticket. Then interested persons can purchase additional chances to win a prize in the SAMCA Ball Drop. Numbered raffle chances corresponding to numbered golf balls will be sold. Then someone will drop the numbered balls from a bucket from the top of a 40 foot boom. The winner will be based on which ball is the closest to the target’s center. The use of the boom is donated by H&E Equipment Services, Inc.
Sponsorships are available – 1st Prize Sponsorship for $400, 2nd Prize Sponsorship for $300, 3rd Prize Sponsorship for $200, and Hole Sponsorships for $125 are available. Also, SAMCA is seeking sponsorships for the Closest to the Hole $200, Longest Drive $200, and the Straightest Drive $200.
Beverage Sponsorships for $200 are available also. This year, whomever signs up the most sponsors for the tournament will win a $250 cash prize.
If you are interested in being a sponsor, want to make reservations, or obtain further information, call Pearl Ozuna at San Antonio Masonry & Tool Supply (210) 695-8222 or Debbie Mason (830) 606- 5556, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAMCA's Upcoming Events - Mark Your Calendar
Meetings and special events have been scheduled for 2016, so please make note of the following dates:
- Wednesday, February 24 – General Membership Meeting
- Wednesday, March 9 – Board of Directors Meeting
- Thursday, March 31 – Golf Classic – The Republic Golf Club
- Wednesday, April 13 – Board of Directors Meeting
- Wednesday, April 27 – General Membership Meeting
- Wednesday, May 11 – Board of Directors Meeting
- Wednesday, May 25 – General Membership Meeting
- Wednesday, June 1 – Board of Directors Meeting
- Thursday, June 9 – Golden Trowel Awards Banquet
- Wednesday, June 29 – General Membership Meeting
- Friday & Saturday, July 8-9 – Fishing Tournament – Aransas Pass
- Wednesday, July 13 – Board of Directors Meeting
- Wednesday, July 27 – General Membership Meeting
- Wednesday, August 10 – Board of Directors Meeting
- Wednesday, August 31 – General Membership Meeting
- Wednesday, September 14 – Board of Directors Meeting
- Thursday, September 29 – Sporting Clay Tournament & BBQ Cook- Off
- Wednesday, October 12 – Board of Directors Meeting
- Wednesday, October 26 – General Membership Meeting
- Tuesday – Sunday, November 1-6 – Four Wheeling Adventure
- Wednesday, November 9 – Board of Directors Meeting
- Wednesday, November 30 – General Membership Meeting
- Thursday, December 8 – Holiday Celebration Banquet
- Wednesday, December 14 – Board of Directors Meeting
Remember - Associate's Corner
New Apprentice Instructor
The San Antonio Masonry Contractors Association is pleased to announce a new instructor and administrator of the Masonry Training program – Guy Williams. He will be calling the SAMCA contractors to encourage sending apprentices to the training. Also, he will notify the contractors when their apprentices do not attend classes.
James Groesbeck will continue to be the apprenticeship director. In addition, the classes will continue to take place 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. each Wednesday at the San Antonio Masonry & Tool Supply location (7480 FM 1560 N). Each apprentice should bring their own tools.
- The 2016 Membership Directory was mailed out the second week of February. If you did not receive a copy, or if you need extras, email your request to Debbie at email@example.com
- The Texas Masonry Council convention will take place in Austin, August 3 – 5, 2016 at the Westin Downtown Austin. For information, visit www.texasmasonrycouncil.org
- The fishing tournament is scheduled for July 8 – 9, so as a reminder, people should make their hotel reservations now. In addition, anyone who needs a fishing guide should make those reservations now also.
- The Board of Directors wants to encourage SAMCA members to use the products and services of other SAMCA members. In this way, members are supporting their fellow SAMCA members, one of the benefits of being involved with SAMCA. Everyone can refer to the 2016 SAMCA Membership Directory for contact information.
- The SAMCA Golden Trowel Awards entries are due by March 15. The awards will be presented at the banquet on Thursday, June 9. Winning entries will be selected in nine categories, with the masonry product being the dominant building material.