July General Membership Meeting
The San Antonio Masonry Contractors Association will hold its monthly general membership meeting at 12 p.m. Wednesday, July 29 at Pappadeaux restaurant, 76 NE Loop 410. The cost of lunch is $30 per person. The guest speaker will be attorney Spike Cutler from Dallas and will discuss new legislation and contracts. Call Debbie to make your reservation for this informative meeting, at (830) 606-5556 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
12th Annual Fishing Tournament Results
SAMCA members and guests gathered at the Redfish Bay Boat House in Aransas Pass for SAMCA’s 12th Annual Fishing Tournament on July 17 – 18. After everyone registered, they enjoyed delicious appetizers and a Calcutta. The competition began at 6 a.m. the next day. The 17 boats of fishermen reported back for the weigh-in at 4 p.m. and ate a bar-b-q dinner. Travis Crow prepared his famous jalapeno poppers again and heated up everyone’s palates. Everyone enjoyed the event once again this year.
The following were the winners of the tough fishing competition:
Open Boat Category–
- Heavy Stringer – 1st Place – San Antonio Masonry & Tool Supply – Pete Villa, Gilbert Gonzales, Roy Gonzales, Hector Galvan
- Heavy Stringer – 2nd Place – Los Vatos Locos –Greg Wiatrek, Scott Wiatrek, Chris Wiatrek, Tommy Kotzar
- Heavy Redfish – Headwaters Construction Materials – David Gonzales, Ricci Pozzi, Marty Smith, Ken Wursterhausen
- Heavy Trout – Rick Stone Masonry, Inc. – Rick Stone, Rick Stone Jr., Luke Southard, Derrick Stone
Guided Boat Category-
- Heavy Stringer – 1st Place – I-10 Building Materials – Craig Leeder, Abbey Leeder, Cade Leeder, Manuel Delgado
- Heavy Stringer – 2nd Place – Bautex Systems – Duane Holloway, Michael Imbimbo
- Heavy Trout – Rick Stone Masonry, Inc. – Ryan Stone, Darrell Vann, Gary DeWinne, Pat Langlinais
SAMCA owes many thanks to the following tournament sponsors:
$200 Flounder Sponsors – Alpha Insulation & Waterproofing, Inc.; Blackson Brick Southwest; C & S Contractors, Inc.; DJM Masonry Enterprises, Inc.; Groesbeck Masonry ; Integrity Insurance Agency, Inc.; Rick
Stone Masonry, Inc.; and Wire-Bond
$500 Trout Sponsors – Acme Brick / Featherlite; Headwaters Construction Materials; I-10 Building Materials,
Ltd.; Lehigh White Cement; SS Smith & Sons Masonry, and San Antonio Masonry & Tool Supply.
In addition, SAMCA wants to thank James Busing (SpecMix) who donated two fishing poles, Yeti cups, and a
tackle box to the fishing tournament. The association is grateful to all the sponsors who helped offset the
expenses of the event.
SAMCA's Upcoming Events - Mark Your Calendar
The year is halfway over! Please make note of the following meetings and special events dates:
- Wednesday, August 26 – General Membership Meeting
- Friday, September 11 – Sporting Clay Tournament & BBQ Cook- Off
- Wednesday, September 30 – General Membership Meeting
- Thursday – Sunday, October 15-18 – Four Wheeling Adventure
- Wednesday, October 21 – Moonlight Golf Tournament – Alamo Golf Club
- Wednesday, October 28 – General Membership Meeting
- Wednesday, November 18 – General Membership Meeting
- Friday, December 4 – Holiday Celebration & Awards Banquet
- The Texas Masonry Council convention will take place in San Antonio August 5 – 7, 2015. Because San Antonio is the host city of the convention, SAMCA members are encouraged to participate. For information, visit www.texasmasonrycouncil.org.
- SAMCA members voted in a new member during the July 29 General Membership meeting – Materials Marketing. Tim Roberts is their representative and he can be reached at (210) 785-2048.
- The September 30 General Membership meeting will feature Bradley Savage (BGS Safety Services) as the guest speaker. He will inform everyone about important safety issues.
- Bill Krueger (TNT Equipment) retired on July 3. SAMCA members wish him a happy, busy and fun retirement.
- Tracie Martin (Acme Brick / Featherlite) has big plans for the Terlingua trip which is planned for October 15-18. For information, call her at (210) 296-7891.
- Information will be distributed soon about the 20th Annual Sporting Clay Tournament & 15th Annual BBQ Cook-Off. The event is scheduled for Friday, September 11 at the San Antonio Gun Club (928 Contour Drive).
- SAMCA T-shirts are available for sale for $10. The only sizes left are XXL and XXXL. Call Debbie if you would like one – 830-606-5556.
- Custom Masonry will have a “Celebration of Life” in memory of Frank Butler on August 29.
More information will follow later.